Artist: Mo Ruzhong (1509-1589)
Date: Ming (1368-1644)
Dimensions: Height 25.0 cm, Width 32.0 cm; Height 25.0 cm, Width 10.1 cm
Material: Ink on paper
Mo Ruzhong (1509-1589), also known by his zi (designated name) Ziliang and hao (literary name) Zhongjiang, was a native of Huating (in present-day Songjiang, Shanghai). He became a jinshi (a successful candidate of the imperial examination) in the 17th year (1538) of the Jiajing reign and rose to the Director of Administration of Zhejiang. Skilled in calligraphy, he followed the style of Wang Xizhi and Wang Xianzhi and was the calligraphy teacher of Dong Qichang. Dong Yiyang (1510-1572), with zi Ziyuan amd hao Zigang, was a native of Maqiao, Shanghai county (in present-day Minhang). He was an uncle of Dong Qichang. A scholar and accomplished poet, he diligently compiled local historical documents, accomplishing works such as Records of Shanghai's Transformations and Selected Literary Works from Yunjian. He built the Qushui Garden (now known as the Guteng Garden), for which Wen Jia created a painting (now in the Shanghai Museum collection).