Artist: Unknown
Date: Five Dynasties (907-960)
In the Five Dynasties period, Qian Chu, the King of the Wu-Yue State, commissioned the building of Leifeng Pagoda that was also known as Huangfei Pagoda. The ruins of the pagoda are located on the south bank of the West Lake in Hangzhou. After the pagoda's collapse in 1924, the scrolls concealed within its bricks were revealed. Chen Zengshou, a monk then residing in Hangzhou, acquired several scrolls and subsequently created numerous poems and paintings inspired by the pagoda. This scroll is one of such works. Chen asked his mother Zhou Baoshan to inscribe at the beginning of the scroll, and invited his friend Wang Yun to paint the Leifeng Pagoda in twilight and inscribe on it. Xu Renjin (hao Lingxiao), a renowned journalist in the early 20th century, later acquired this painting. He frequently travelled between Shanghai and Beijing, and invited his friends Sun Shiwei, Kang Youwei, and Sun Zhimin to inscribe on this scroll. Sun Zhimin's inscription was written in Shanghai.