The Shanghai Museum was established in 1952. It was moved into the old Zhonghui Building at No. 16 South Henan Road in October 1959. In early 1990s the Museum was relocated on the People’s Square and reopened to the public at the present building on October 12th, 1996. With focuses on collecting, researching, displaying and education of pre-modern Chinese arts, the Museum has built up a collection of nearly 1,020,000 items, 140,000 of which are graded national treasures.
The Museum’s collection covers thirty-one categories, including bronze, ceramics, calligraphy, painting, sculpture, oracle bone, seals, coins, jade, furniture, embroidery, lacquer ware, bamboo and wood carving, arts and crafts of Chinese ethnic minorities, etc., among which the collection of bronze, ceramics, calligraphy and painting are especially celebrated. Now, the Museum has ten permanent galleries, four special donation showrooms and three temporary exhibition halls, providing visitors a panoramic view of the Chinese art history. The Museum’s systematic displays and high-quality collection enjoy a high reputation at home and abroad.